7/03/2006

It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall.

The rainy season has officially started and when it rains it comes down in buckets. It is very difficult to sleep when you have a tin roof and the rain keeps falling faster and faster. But the good thing about the rain is that it does cool everything down for a little while and it is actually pleasent to walk around outside. I'm not immedialty looking for the nearest shady spot! I'm still on holiday and enjoying my time off by relaxing and catching up on some sleep. This past weekend Fifa was running an anti-discrimination and anti-racism campagin. Before each game they had the captains of each team read statements saying why eliminating racism is important. I found it interesting that a fight broke out after the Argentina-Germany game. These are the same players who 2 hours earlier said we need to fight discrimination and here they are throwing punches at each other and cursing at each other. If we can't even get a soccer game to end in a civil manner how in the world will we ever end racism? Lets try having soccer matches that end in peace and then work on ending racism. Eating food at the schools and with families here in The Gambia has been very interesting for me. Growing up I was always tought that you clear your plate of all the food before you get up. I just assumed that the same principales applied here as well. But you know what happens when you assume! I was informed last week that here in The Gambia it is considered an insult if you give someone food and they ask for seconds. This is why most places you visit give you so much food that it is impossible for you to eat it all. So all this time I've been struggling trying to finsih all the food people gave me and it turns out I didn't have to. The few times I did manage to clean my plate people were stunned. They couldn't beleive what they had just witnesed. It was like a solar eclipse. Something they only see once a year! I guess that explains the puzzled look on their faces like " Well what do we do now? Do we give him more food? Have we insulted him?" But now I know so I will not cause any more cooks to have a heart attack!! Or myself for that matter!!

I met one man who was wounded in love,
I met another man who was wounded with hatred, And it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard,It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall. Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home