6/29/2006

Trek

Two weeks ago I went on a "Trek" up country to the small town of Block. The roads were very bad along the way and I could feel the heat rising as we neered the border of Senegal. I lived with my friend Modou's family for eight days on this trip. It was a fabulous experince and one I will never forget. I enjoy living with a family out in the country side much more than the city life here. Yes there is no electricity and no running water but you tend to forget about those things when you are living in a community where everyone works together. The only thing you need to take a bath is a bucket and a cup. When you eat there are no spoons or forks. Just the natural tools at the end of your arms. I was pleasntly surprised with how effective they worked! Everyone eats there meals from one bowl. I would sit around with four or five other people and we would all put are hands in and share in a meal. Most meals consist of rice and either fish or beef. I think I have eaten an entire OCEAN of rice at this point. The family I lived with made me feel like I was at home. They were constantly checking up on me and asking if I needed anything. The people there do not have much but what they do have they will offer to you as a guest. I found teaching in the schools to be a greater challange than I had anticipated. Most students English skills are at a very low level. Luckily I have my partner Modou to help translate into Wollof whenever my teachings are not being received. My American East Coast accent does not help either! The kids all say that I speak very quickly and it is hard for them to understand sometimes. But I know the message is being recied because the second day of our two day workshop we always do a review from day one and the kids always surprise me with how much they have retained. Never think that you are smarter than your audience or more knowledgable. I have learned many things from these children. Before I left to come back to Banjul the kids invited me to a special ceremony. The ceremony awarded the students their certificates of achievement in the Peer Health Program which I was teaching. The students wanted me present to distribute their awards. how could I refuse!!!! I attended the ceremony distributed the certificates and made a few remarks. I told the students that they were the future leaders of The Gambia. I also told them that I was confident in their ability to change their lives and the lives of thier fellow citizens. Ronald Reagen, when asked to explain his transition from Hollywood movie star to United States president, said: " To grasp and hold a vision, that is the very essence of leadership." Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home